Saturday, March 28, 2009

WARNING

reading other people's blogs may be highly inspirational. but sometimes, i think blogs should come with a warning. like this one.

WARNING: READ WITH CAUTION. THIS BLOG MAY MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE CRAP. IF YOU SUFFER FROM LOW SELF-ESTEEM, THIS BLOG'S CONTENTS MAY COMPROMISE YOUR ALREADY FRAGILE EMOTIONAL HEALTH. IF YOU ARE HAVING A BAD DAY, THE CONTENT OF THIS BLOG MAY MAKE YOU FEEL WORSE. IF YOU ARE UNHAPPY WITH YOUR LIFE, THIS BLOG MAY MAKE YOU FEEL MORE UNHAPPY. FYI: SMILES APPEAR WIDER WHEN ON LARGE SCREEN MONITORS.

or something like that. really. we love to be inspired, and to see in other people the potential that abounds in a single life. but at the same time, it's like being faced with all of the things you'd love to do, the great person you think you could be. only instead of feeling more hopeful, you just feel like you could never measure up. why is it that we're so quick to compare our lives to others' and feel as if we fall short somehow. I mean, aren't we meant to live individual lives, each reflecting the creativeness that God has put into us? I don't think that God means for us to compare ourselves with others the way we do. I know He doesn't!

At the same time, why do we (I, really) sell myself short, and think..."I could never do that!" I think it's time for me to climb out of the box that i've been "living" in, to kick the word "should" out of my vocabulary, and to be open to dreaming bigger dreams outside of the 4 puny little cardboard sides around me. Do i really even know what that means? Not yet. But I want to find out!

As food for thought, here is a verse out of the Message Bible: Galatians 6:4 Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don't be impressed with yourself. Don't compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I totally agree...with all of it. We do compare ourselves to others, and then get stuck in what we think we should be, etc. I join you in working to step away from that pattern and be the best ME I can be. God knows who that is and loves showing it to me!